Saturday 19 November 2011

Millie Week 12; Mon 19- Wed 21 Nov 1990

Click to enlarge
The Monday strip is surprisingly prophetic. Back in 1990 we all knew about cold calling, but the automated junk phone call was unknown. About three months ago I was plagued by them. No I haven't been involved in an accident that wasn't my fault. No I don't want to claim compensation for credit card insurance I never took out. And don't put me on f***ing hold as soon as I pick up the receiver!
If you're plagued by junk calls, may I recommend the telephone preference service - the UK's official opt out list. I joined it for free a couple of months ago and the unwanted phone calls now have dried up completely.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

The other two strips are more examples of direct experience. In the Tuesday one, I am that foot crushing dancer - Richard c'est moi. My apologies to anyone who has had to be my dance partner.

The second is based on the stage at the Royal Victoria Hall, Southborough, a theatre I spent a lot of my youth performing at. Stages are supposed to have a bit of a rake on them so everyone in the stalls can see what's going on - but the Royal Vic is like the north face of the Eiger. Any scenery put on that stage has to be securely wedged and blocked into position or it will start traveling slowly towards the orchestra pit. Anything on wheels is doomed - which is why no-one's ever dared to do Starlight Express there.

So that explains upstage and downstage. Stage left and stage right are more problematic - I have enough difficulty telling my left from my right anyway, so introducing directions that can change depending on the way you're facing is going to lead to disaster. I prefer the terms Prompt-side and off-prompt, or, nowadays in the White Rock, Hastings-end and Bexhill-end.

No comments:

Post a Comment