Sunday 18 March 2012

Millie Week 29 - Mon 18 - Sat 23 March 1991


If this week's strip is about anything, it was about the complete divorce between what I experienced as a teenager in Tunbridge Wells, and what the media was telling me all teenagers were doing. If the Daily Mail was to be believed, when I wasn't out of my head on drugs or fathering babies with a string of teenage girls I didn't know the name of, I was supposed to be vandalising churches, taking part in black magic rituals and not tidying my bedroom. I can only plead guilty to the last one.

Here we have a well meaning social worker who believes the Guardian's spin on that fanciful narrative - that kids are up to all that stuff but that SOCIETY IS TO BLAME, yeah?

The youth club is partly on based on the Christian youth club I used to go to in 1977, the year in which I tried my best to become a practicing church-going Christian, but realised that while I had the greatest respect for people's individual religious impulses, I couldn't make any sense of an organised one-size-fits-all religion. But that self important philosophising is by the by - as far as the strip is concerned the important thing I got out of it was the memory of endless ping-pong.

No comments:

Post a Comment