Saturday 5 May 2012

Millie Week 35, Mon 6 - Sat 11 May 1991


I'm not a natural gardener, and the first strip explains why pretty succinctly - I just don't have the patience for it.

The big novelty gift item of 1991 was the dancing flower in a pot - an artificial robotic plant that jerked in response to rhythmic noises. It seemed that there were dodgy geezers selling these things from suitcases every five paces along Oxford Street that summer.

Finally, meet Des. I wasn't allowed to put a cat in this strip, despite my best attempts to, so instead I gave Richard a pet weed in his window box. Des became a useful supporting character who would appear every spring. Note the dynamic of the relationship between Richard and Des. Richard thinks Des is a miracle of nature - Des thinks Richard is a twat. I've just noticed that something very similar is going to occur between Jones and a new character in some strips which are going to appear in the next few weeks. There are some themes that it seems I keep on returning to.

New Age music - pan pipes played by whales. You know the stuff.

The Farm were a band that made one album, had one huge hit and then seemingly disappeared completely. I'm sure there was more to them than that (in fact there was), but to the casual observer, they appeared fully formed with 'All Together Now', an anti-war song that was essentially a rewrite of Pachelbel's Canon, and then vanished again.

No comments:

Post a Comment