Saturday 2 February 2013

Millie Week 74: Mon 3 - Sat 8 February 1992



Millie's paper satchel is, of course, advertising the Daily Mirror, the paper the strip originally appeared in.

I'm not sure where the iconography of the heart being pierced by an arrow came from, but it certainly wasn't me, and I doubt it was Roger the cartoonist either. That strikes me as an addition made by a sub editor to underline a plot point that was perfectly obvious anyway.

Putting the milkbottles out on the doorstep - that dates the strip even more than the fact that no-one has a mobile phone or uses the internet. I'm sure there are still milkmen doing their rounds today, but I haven't heard the reassuring whine of a milk float and cheerful chink of bottles in the early hours of the morning since I moved to Hastings. Milk now comes from supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment