Wednesday 12 June 2013

Colouring mistake

There's a flaw in the character designs of Smith, in that a lot of the cats have the same body type. It's something I recognised a long time ago, but as I've been living with these cats for thirty years I decided it was too late for me to change them. You'll notice that the newer characters tend to look a bit different in order to counter this.

One of the problems this brings up is that Jones and Smudge look identical to one another until they are coloured. And sometimes they get transposed, which is what happened in frame two of today's strip. Jones is supposed to be continuing the speech she started in frame one - you'll notice that the cat speaking is positioned closer to us than the silent cat. But as they also switched positions and I was listening to an especially good Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast, I lost concentration and Smith and Jones swapped positions.

If you're one of my select few blog readers, don't tell the others. Let's see if anyone notices...

No comments:

Post a Comment