Sunday 3 July 2011

Millie 23

Daily Mirror, Saturday September 1st 1990

And that was it for Millie's incarnation as a weekly strip. The new daily schedule coincided with the start of the school year, which was useful. The strip was based on my usual state at the end of the summer holidays - I'd have to do a book report on something really tedious and would invariably leave it until around 5pm on the day before the start of the new term. I remember doing an overview of Graham Greene's 'The Power and the Glory' in that time.

(Incidentally - is Greene still considered part of the pantheon of Lit Gods any more? When I was at school, just before he died, he was huge. His star seems to have fallen a bit since then, and I'm glad to see his 'entertainments' are now regarded in higher esteem than his Catholic guilt saturated 'serious' stuff. He's worthy but he's no longer Important.)

I have a couple of DVD extras of weeklies that were drawn but never got published due to the rapidity of the format change. After those Millie will take a rest for a month and begin again in September, so the strips sync up with their publication 21 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment