Sunday 2 October 2011

Millie Week 5, 4-6 Oct 1990

Click to enlarge
Strip 1: Soundtrack: Kylie. If you live on planet Earth you know that one.

Strip 2: Soundtrack: 'Where are you Baby' by Betty Boo. If the main art of dance music is in choosing the best samples, she chose the best. In particular she applied the hook from 'Captain of Your Ship' into her song better than Reparta and the Delrons did in the original.

Strip three got pulled apart at the eleventh hour just before publication. You'll notice that the handwriting changes in the last speech balloon. The original words in the speech balloon were "It's like trying to share a house with Jodrell Bank around here..." (Jodrell Bank is a radio telescope just outside Manchester, once the largest in the world - in other words a big dish hoovering up sound like Richard in frame 2) It was deemed better by the Mirror to underline the subtext to the cartoon in big black marker pen rather than just allude to it. I think it killed whatever joke that was lurking in there stone dead.

Oh - and I have no idea where 'Dracular' came from. It's Dracula in my original script.

1 comment:

  1. I do think that the Jodrell bank joke would have worked as it is funny but I suppose as you mentioned before it might have got lost on most of the readers of the Mirror.

    I must say I am really enough reading the strips again and even more so that I get to read scripts and other comments too.

    ReplyDelete