Friday 22 June 2012

Grabbers

More seafront amusements - this one based on the arcade on The Stade, facing the London Trader pub. It's fronted by a series of penny-in-the-slot machines, chock full of licensed soft toys that are just that smidgen too small to be held properly by the mechanical claws that are supposed to deliver your prize to you. I pass this place every time I collect some fish and chips from the Lifeboat, Hastings best chippy, and the idea came to me when I saw that one of the machines was full of Hello Kittys. I changed it to Garfield, as he's just as heavily merchandised but means more to me than any of Sanrio's kawaii menagerie of creatures.

Personally, I'm addicted to the 2p cascades inside the arcade. They fascinate me. I have a jar full of tuppennies on my desk, which I collect specially to use on those machines. I never win anything worthwhile on them - it's just fascinating to see the coins pile up and then tumble - it's like an engineering puzzle, and quite hypnotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment