Friday 29 June 2012

The one Gizmo projectile vomited over.

You think you've got critics - I have a cat that vomits over the strips that he doesn't like! I made the mistake of leaving the book that I draw these strips in open on the floor in the study (I draw on the floor - a habit I've never got out of since I drew cartoons as a kid) and then going out of the house. I also made the mistake of not hanging up my jacket and leaving it on the back of my office chair. Then I fed Gizmo and left the house for an hour.

When I came back I found that Gizmo had decided to bolt his food, then sit on the back of my chair. Then he exploded. There was pureed cat food all over the carpet, the chair, my jacket, and the cartoon book. Blee!

The jacket's survived, thanks to some nifty work by the dry cleaners, though I shall treasure forever the look of horror on the face of the counter assistant when I first produced the jacket, explaining that my cat was possessed by demons. The carpet has a nasty stain and needs cleaning. The worst of the blee was scraped off the cartoon - thankfully I don't use water based inks - and some photoshop work got rid of the rest. The final result is above - while an initial scan of what I had to work with is below.

Cartoon nerds will also note the use of photo-blue pencil to make the initial sketches, and the fact that I actually paste in archy's typewritten dialogue rather than add it in post-production.


Gizmo - biding his time....

No comments:

Post a Comment