Saturday 14 July 2012

Millie Week 45, Mon 15 - Sat 21 July 1991


It's summer, so it's time to send the kids to camp. Or it's very British equivalent, a geography field trip.

I had to engineer a way to include Richard on the trip when he was a couple of years above the girls at school. That done, I was up and running for another extended story that was to last for five weeks.

The TV series 'The Darling Buds of May' had just come out. Based on the novels of H E Bates, and set deep in the Kent countryside sometime in the 1950s, it proved to be a huge hit. It also introduced a rather comely young starlet to the world - Catherine Zeta Jones as Mariette Larkin. The tabloids were obsessed with the show, and I was writing for a tabloid, so I joined in. The fact that I lived in Kent and rather liked the series myself helped too.

No comments:

Post a Comment