Saturday 3 November 2012

Millie Week 61, Mon 4 - Sat 9 November 1991

A week of one shots as light relief after the eight week epic story of DEF and it's aftermath. I think I must have been on a stationery kick at this point as three of these gags have a school supplies theme. The fourth strip demonstrates effectively why I don't use a ruler for my frames in Smith, and prefer to draw everything freehand.

The Guy Fawkes strip (No. 2) is very of its time. It's strange to consider what an optimistic time 1991 was. Germany had reunited the year before, and this was the year in which the Soviet Union imploded. After spending the 80s convinced that the world could blow up at any moment, it seemed  to me that the world was getting better and better. Of course, we now know that Germany was sowing the seeds of the Euro Crisis, and most of the former soviet states have simply replaced one dictator with another. But back then, there was just a glimmer of hope that things might be getting better.

The last strip is very much a self portrait. I'm still like that at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment