Friday 23 August 2013

Claws on a blackboard

Jones is probably alone in this one.

I once had a cat, Sunday, that was very particular about the music she would let me listen to. She was normally a very placid cat, but there were two records she detested. One was a re-release of Kraftwerk's first two albums - (there's a link here to the second one for those with a strong stomach) and the other was a budget CD of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos played by a very cheap-to-employ Eastern European orchestra. Maybe there was something about the scratchy, scrapey tone of the playing on the Bach CD or the cacophony of the Kraftwerk LP, but she hated them. I'd know she was annoyed because she'd snort at me, like an angry bull. If I didn't take heed of the warning she'd then gently but very deliberately bite me on the cheek. I'd get the message then - the record would be replaced and peace would be restored.

If you have a more catholic musical taste than Sunday did, might I recommend Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone? It's a podcast that compiles weird and left-field music from his BBC Radio 6 Music show? One moment you could be listening to a Jazz-Punk fusion piece played on stylophones, the next it might be Icelandic folk-funk or library music from public information films. This is what I listen to when I'm writing these blog entries. Which probably explains a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment