Friday 3 August 2012

High Jump

Time for a catchup, I think. First of all, you've probably noticed that the format of the Smith Blog has changed somewhat. I'm now using Blogger's 'dynamic' system. It's taken a bit of getting used to, but I've decided I rather like it. It means that the posts themselves need to be set in a rather boring centralised layout to be intelligible, and I wish there was a way to turn off the type justification, as, being a typographer of the Swiss school, I much prefer ragged right setting. But the advantage is that the front page allows you to see all the posts in one go, and that the reader can change the settings on the front page so they can see what the blog looks like in a choice of different formats. Try the options in the menu bar underneath the title - it's currently set at 'Magazine' but some of the others are really neat. I especially like the mosaic - it's impractical for this blog but it looks rather neat.

The other good thing about this format is that my hit rate has rocketed, and most of them appear to be real people, rather than spambots from Russia.

I'm writing this on Tuesday 30th July. The Olympics have started, the opening ceremony was spectacular and Mitt Romney is on his one-man mission to insult the entire world one nation at a time. He's now one Polish joke away from causing an international incident.

And the cats continue to run their own version of the Games, brought to you by Wiskas Dentabits, Unigate Dairies and Tush & Pat's Original Fish Rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment