Saturday 18 August 2012

Millie Week 50, Mon 19 - Sat 24 Aug 1991


Back to Catford, and this week's them is ice cream and lollies.

Strip four was based on an ice cream I tried to eat on the Queen Mary in Long Beach during a very hot summer. It was about 100 degrees in the shade, and I found myself in a a race to eat as much of the ice cream as I could before it melted away. I ended up holding it over the side of the deck and watching the melted ice cream trickle swiftly down my arm and then into the water below.

Lolly sticks always used to have riddles printed on them. The question would be on the exposed part of the stick, and the answer would be revealed once you had consumed the ice cream. The riddles were be of the 'What's yellow and dangerous' variety.

Strip six is dedicated to whatever madman at Walls came up with the name 'Lolly Gobble Chock Bomb'. It lasted just one summer, probably because no-one could bring themselves to ask for it.

* Shark infested custard, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment