Monday 10 January 2011

This is as angry as I get, folks.


I don’t do politics very often in ‘Smith’ - its a subtle art full of pitfalls and I don’t think it has a place in a simple cartoon strip about cats. However, that doesn’t stop me from occasionally reflecting the absurdity of the results of our leaders' political machinations with some absurdity of my own.

This strip was written last summer (I like to keep a good six month buffer of scripts ready just in case I ever have a fallow patch with no ideas), expecting the austerity measures brought in by the coalition to start biting about now. As they have, with thousands of public servants losing funding and jobs left right and centre, and VAT going up to 20%, but strangely no bankers feeling the pinch.

But that’s enough of that. That’s just whining. If you want a comic strip that’s just a whine read Mallard Filmore instead. I’ll just stick to being daft.

Incidentally - to make the last panel look sufficiently childlike I drew it with my left hand. Smith returns to right-handed full colour normality on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment