Monday 31 January 2011

Typewriter

I'm going to be introducing a new character in about a month's time, but to do that I need a typewriter. When I originally did this thirty years ago everyone knew what a typewriter was, but in this digital age I now feel I have to plant the typewriter first and explain what it is.

Sometimes you have to go retro in a cartoon anyway. These days most electrical tools have become small white boxes. A phone could be an MP3 player could be a computer could be a video recorder. To counter this we cartoonists have to go back in time just to convey an object's function. This probably explains why the Beano comics I read as in kid in the 1970s seemed to be visually stuck in the 1950s.

The typewriter is my dad's old Olivetti, in full late 70's aubergine regalia, so it it matched the bathroom. (Don't ask.)

1 comment:

  1. We had only old finger taper at home, then my mom brought and old electric IBM SELECTRIC II - with the letter wrapped around a typing ball - now THAT was technology.

    ReplyDelete