Saturday 12 March 2011

Playing catchup

Due to what I can only assume is an error at TalkTalk, I have accidentally had my internet access returned to me. They must do this every time someone gets so frustrated with them that they cancel their account. Too late, TalkTalk, I'm moving to Zen on Friday.

Anyway, let's catch up on the Smith cartoons from the past two weeks...

It's good to do a continuing story every now and again. I have a few stories set up for the summer, but we'll be moving on to a series of of one-shot gags for the next few weeks, before we dive into the purple tinged schmaltz fest of the Royal Wedding.

I was in London last week, at a fairly pointless trade show for magazine publishing (it asked the question 'Whither Publishing?' and came up with the answer 'Buggered if I know'), and took the chance to cruise the bookshops for a copy of Archy and Mehitabel. I finally found the last copy in London in the Gower Street Waterstones (thank you to the man in Hatchards Picadilly who tracked it down on his stocktaking computer). And guess what - I didn't buy it. It didn't feel right. I can't help but feel any copy I have needs to be second hand and covered in sardine stains.

I love Jones' growing hysteria as the situation appears to get stranger and stranger. And, as people have pointed out, there are parallels between the last strip and the Chuck Jones cartoon 'One Froggy Evening' starring Michigan J Frog, something I'd never noticed. That's what I like about the comments on GoComics - the readers come up with some wonderful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment